Laboratorul de cercetare Artificial Intelligence and Multi Agent Systems (AI-MAS) al Facultatii de Automatica si Calculatoare din Universitatea Politehnica Bucuresti. Activititatea de cercetare este desfasurata in proiecte nationale si internationale ce tin…
The Artificial Intelligence and Multi-Agent Systems (AI-MAS) Laboratory at UPB is an environment focused on hot topics of research and development.
Ambient Intelligence, Applied Machine Learning, Assistive Humanoid Robotics, Reinforcement Learning … the members of our lab have got it all covered!
Our most recent research directions include: activity recognition from domotics sensor activations, action recognition from RGB and depth information, robot maze navigation from RGB information alone, robotic assistance of senior citizens and robotic assistance of groups of people (e.g. exhibition booth assistance, lab guide).
In our work with social assistant robots (e.g. Pepper Robot from Softbank), we have already endowed the robot with the capability to build a map of its surroundings (e.g. our whole lab and the floor at which it is situated) and with the ability to move (navigate) within the mapped space.
However, going from A to B is not all that exciting without having a goal in mind. In order to be a true social assistant, we want our robot to be able to find different kinds of objects and different users within the environment it has mapped. To do this, the robot must have a means to plan an exploratory path within a map, while avoiding dynamic objects.
At the end of its exploration, the robot must have either found the object (e.g. a backpack, a certain book) / person it was looking for, or be able to confidently say that the sought after person/object is not in the known environment.
If you love to take up a challenge that involves the use of ML, Computer Vision, Path Planning and Robotics Programming, then this is the job for you!
What we’re looking for:
- Candidates currently pursuing a BA or MSc degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- Good knowledge of coding in a programming language such as C++ or Python (Python is preferred)
- Solid knowledge of data structures and design patterns
- Knowledge of computer vision techniques and tools (e.g. OpenCV, Matlab) is a plus
- Demonstrated extra-curricular activities & projects are a plus
- Be driven and have a proactive approach to problem solving
What you’ll learn:
- Gain knowledge on the domain of assistive social robotics
- Acquire experience in applying Computer Vision and Machine Learning techniques to a concrete problem
- Acquire experience in applying and developing trajectory planning algorithms to mobile base robots
- Acquire experience in programming the lifecycle of a real humanoid robot (Pepper)
- Working knowledge of the Robot Operating System (ROS) framework, by using existing packages and building your own
- Contribute to an existing open-source project
- Good compensation package
- Flexible work schedule
- Office located in PRECIS building of UPB
- Opportunity to be involved in further national or international research projects in which the AI-MAS lab is involved
- Support towards writing an academic paper based on obtained results