Laboratorul de cercetare Artificial Intelligence and Multi Agent Systems (AI-MAS) al Facultatii de Automatica si Calculatoare din Universitatea Politehnica Bucuresti. Activititatea de cercetare este desfasurata in proiecte nationale si internationale ce tin…
The Artificial Intelligence and Multi-Agent Systems (AI-MAS) Laboratory at UPB is an environment focused on hot topics of research and development.
Ambient Intelligence, Applied Machine Learning, Assistive Humanoid Robotics, Reinforcement Learning … the members of our lab have got it all covered!
Our most recent research directions include: activity recognition from domotics sensor activations, action recognition from RGB and depth information, robot maze navigation from RGB information alone, robotic assistance of senior citizens and robotic assistance of groups of people (e.g. exhibition booth assistance, lab guide).
In our work with social assistant robots (e.g. Pepper Robot from Softbank), one big challenge is to make the robot seem to blend in with its human counterparts,
to give the robot the look and feel of being “alive”.
One means to do so is to make the robot always look engaged into actively tracking and listening for the voice of people near it.
While the robot is standing still, it must detect the presence of a person moving near it (either by face or just by silhouette) and be able to turn its head and
body so as to appear to engage the person. This gives a person the impression that the robot is observant of a human presence, leading to a more natural interaction.
If you love to take up a challenge that involves the use of ML, Computer Vision, Geometry and Robotics Programming, then this is the job for you.
What we’re looking for:
- Candidates currently pursuing a BA or MSc degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- Good knowledge of coding in a programming language such as C++ or Python (Python is preferred)
- Solid knowledge of data structures and design patterns
- Knowledge of computer vision techniques and tools (e.g. OpenCV, Matlab) is a plus
- Demonstrated extra-curricular activities & projects are a plus
- Be driven and have a proactive approach to problem solving
What you’ll learn:
- Gain knowledge on the domain of assistive social robotics
- Acquire experience in applying Computer Vision and Machine Learning techniques to a concrete problem
- Acquire experience in programming the lifecycle of a real humanoid robot (Pepper)
- Working knowledge of the Robot Operating System (ROS) framework, by using existing packages and building your own
- Contribute to an existing open-source project
- Good compensation package
- Flexible work schedule
- Office located in PRECIS building of UPB
- Opportunity to be involved in further national or international research projects in which the AI-MAS lab is involved
- Support towards writing an academic paper based on obtained results
- list item